Students attention span: my kids are funnier than yours

So as we finished our Annotative text series in my class with using "The Watsons go to Birmingham" ... I discovered that my kids weren't getting the SHOW your thought process... so we took a step back and rented the short movie of "The Watsons go to Birmingham" and they had to be that annoying person in the movie theater. So Instead of saying out loud "oh, I think this is going to happen," "I wonder what's next," and "oooh, I knew that was going to happen" but on paper. It was going GREAT until I realized how short my 7th graders attention spans are when one goes "Ms. Dunne, Ms. Dunne, Ms. Dunne" I responded with "yes..." as I looked up and well.... she has got her finger tip touching her eyeball and states: "LOOK, I can touch my eye, I never knew I could do that." "OH MYYYYY!" is my thought in my head as I explain to her that her hands are dirty and you shouldn't touch your eye. Just as I opened my mouth, half my class is joining in on the curiosity. Later in the class she has her hand over her eye asking to go to the nurse: "my eye hurts and is watery." I looked at her and said: "use our strategies and figure out what my response is in my head." "Natural consequences, I know.... I will go back to my seat."

Oh the attention span of a middle school child. 

Comments