STAR strategy

Sometimes after college, memories fade and well... you need a little refresher. So, since it took me a while to find a REAL teaching job and now well into my second year with my awesome kids... I have decided to rummage through some old binders and look for some helpful things.

Bellow is an interesting thing that I am wicked pumped about making a poster for tomorrow to help my students with writing:

Substitue
Take things out
Add
Rearrange


This seems perfect to minimize the typically middle schooler overuse of "like" and "my teacher said".... not like any middle school girl ever uses the word like a million times or anything... ;) Plus this helps organize their blurted out/ dumped onto a paper thought process before they hand you their train of thought without reviewing. Reviewing= KEY! They haven't learned yet, how to re-read what they have wrote. But... then again many adults, including myself, never re-read e-mails, text, and other posts before we post them sometimes and maybe we should.... luckily I have wonderful co-workers, family members, and friends who let me know when I have misspelled something or used improper grammar. MAYBE if my middles school teachers taught me STAR I would do the precess or re-reading a little more often to prevent those awkward moments.

Comments